Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

St. Patrick's Breastplate
...Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every one who speaks of me, Christ in the eye of every one that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me...

Irish Soda Bread
This is my favorite recipe for this bread. It's great that it is a quick bread--no real kneading, no rise, but so moist and yummy!

4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 30 to 50 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.

If you don't have buttermilk, add 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice to 1 cup of milk. Let sit and then stir.

1 comment:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I noticed while reading through your archives that your baby was born in September. So was my youngest! I am loving reading your thoughts and following your efforts - I'm getting some good ideas and they are extra helpful because you GET IT...you have a baby and small kids too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails