Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

St. Patrick's Breastplate



My Lenten practices have done much to reveal my need for God's daily grace in my life. I cannot do these disciplines on my own and they only serve to show the deeper sins within. And so this week, I pray the words penned by St. Patrick over 1500 years ago:

"I arise today

    Through God's strength to pilot me:

    God's might to uphold me,

    God's wisdom to guide me,

    God's eye to look before me,

    God's ear to hear me,

    God's word to speak to me,

    God's hand to guard me,

    God's way to lie before me,

    God's shield to protect me,

    God's host to save me...


Christ be with me, Christ within me,

         Christ behind me, Christ before me,

      Christ beside me, Christ to win me,

         Christ to comfort and restore me,

      Christ beneath me, Christ above me,

         Christ in quiet, Christ in danger,

      Christ in hearts of all that love me,

         Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."

Read the whole thing and more about St. Patrick's life here.

Listen to this version:






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails