Well, I am a real beginner at canning so it was my first attempt at Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate. I had to shop around for the lemons since our normal grocery store was charging $.79 a lemon--ahhh! It was delicious and easy to make. I pureed the strawberries, measured the sugar and made the lemon juice the night before when the kids were in bed so I only had to do the canning today.
With the time and money (and sugar!) that went into making it, I'll be saving the lemonade as a treat for our Saturday night Sabbath Feasts.I had been looking for a unique drink for the kids, just a little thing to help them look forward to our family time. Mom and Dad always have a glass of wine!
Here is the recipe for Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate
Makes about 7 pint jars
6 cups hulled strawberries
4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 20 lemons; they vary in their juicyness)
6 cups granulated sugar
1. Prepare canner, jar, and lids.
2. In a blender or food processor, puree strawberries until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed. Add lemon juice and sugar and stir to combine. Heat to 190degrees over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
3. Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 15 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic, or ginger ale; adjust concentrate to taste. (Since my kids don't drink much juice or sweet drinks, I made it almost two parts water to one part concentrate!)
Since I'm a newbie I'm afraid to play around with the recipe; I follow the instructions like their hocus-pocus so if you have any recommendations or tweak the recipe at all, let me know!
For those who are not into canning, here is a delicious homemade Lemonade recipe we love:
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.