Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Palm Sunday



"Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord!


Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David!


Hosanna in the highest heaven!"






Psalm 118:19-29

19
Open for me the gates of righteousness; *I will enter them;I will offer thanks to the LORD.
20
"This is the gate of the LORD; *he who is righteous may enter."
21
I will give thanks to you, for you answered me *and have become my salvation.
22
The same stone which the builders rejected *has become the chief cornerstone.
23
This is the LORD'S doing, *and it is marvelous in our eyes.
24
On this day the LORD has acted; *we will rejoice and be glad in it.
25
Hosannah, LORD, hosannah! *LORD, send us now success.
26
Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord; *we bless you from the house of the LORD.

27
God is the LORD; he has shined upon us; *form a procession with branches up to the horns of the altar.
28
"You are my God, and I will thank you; *you are my God, and I will exalt you."
29
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; *his mercy endures for ever.




Traditions-
Parading around the church dates back to the fourth century. Our church has the children participate and G. will be a part of the Sacred Dance! But if you're not part of a church that celebrates Palm Sunday, why not do it at home together? I think even after processing around the church, my little ones will love to come home and sing and wave palms as a family.
Spend time praising God and giving thanks, for he is good!
Another tradition is to shape the palms into crosses. Scroll Down for directions.
Palm fronds are also weaved to produce beautiful woven symbols to hang in the Christian home during the year:
No Palms? Any branch can be used. Palm Sunday is also called Olive or Branch Sunday, Sallow or Willow, Yew or Blossom Sunday, or Sunday of the Willow Boughs, named for the local replacements for the traditional palm branches. Even Evergreens and Pussy Willows were used here in the United States before the custom of importing Palm branches.

Here is aPalm Sunday Coloring Page: http://www.sermons4kids.com/palm-sunday-colorpg.htm
P.S. This is also known as Fig Sunday since Jesus wanted to eat a fig before he entered Jerusalem so many people eat figs on this day! Though since he cursed the tree, it seems a bit of an odd tradition to me! What do you think?!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails