Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sabbath is for Peace...

It is almost 2pm on Sunday and the house is quiet...all are asleep but me and I bask in this time, understanding anew that all the efforts to create space for this rest are worth it. We do not rest today so that we may work the rest of the week as we will, as Wendell Berry writes in his Sabbath poem,


"Six days of work are spent
To make a Sunday quiet
That Sabbath may return...."


From the Gospel reading for the Second Sunday of Easter,

When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you." After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you." (John 20:19-31).

One of the first messages of the resurrection: PEACE.

I go back to my own rest now, so that Sabbath may return.


Blessings dear readers! May the Peace of Christ be with you.
Amy




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails