Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Welcoming our first cold morning!

This was our first chilly morning--43 degrees! I know, I know, if you are from warmer climates, it sounds terrible. If you are from the wintery north that has already had snow, it sounds balmy!

For our first brisk morning, I planned a hearty, easy-to-make Baked Oatmeal. I appreciate that I can stick it in the oven, then get everyone dressed and when we arrive, a nice hot dish of oatmeal is waiting. The big kids added milk to make it more of a cereal. The baby, who especially loved it, ate it more like an oatmeal bar.

  • 3 cups rolled oats (I used quick cooking oats and it was ready in 30 minutes)
  • 1 cup brown sugar (I cut to half a cup and it was still sweet)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup dried, fresh or frozen berries (we did frozen blueberries!)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Beat in milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in fruit. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.  
Enjoy!

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails