Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The chance to see the sunrise

The baby has been waking up very early and I can't get her to go back to sleep. And I still get up once in the night to feed her too, so I've been extra groggy on these early mornings. But on this early, early morning as I sat by the window in my favorite chair, Bible in lap, coffee in hand, baby quietly playing with her wooden stack toy at my feet, I realized I wouldn't be up right now if she didn't wake me up!

I would like to think that despite RJ being away, I would still get up for my morning devotions but the truth is I probably would be trying to steal every chance at sleep I could get, thinking that with him gone I deserved it. Isn't it funny how often during the times we most need time devoted to prayer and scripture, we often don't do it? And so, these last few days though I may grumble at being woken so early, I have realized that this quiet time has so helped me to get through my day with the proper focus.

I also have appreciated the the Office of Morning Prayer from the BCP on these early mornings. Like an old friend, it gently leads me through all that I should pray for and the scripture I need for that day. Today it was the Collect for the Renewal of Life that encouraged, challenged, and convicted me, since a renewal of energy and life was what I needed:

O God, the King eternal, whose light divides the day from the
night and turns the shadow of death into the morning: Drive
far from us all wrong desires, incline our hearts to keep your
law, and guide our feet into the way of peace; that, having
done your will with cheerfulness while it was day, we may,
when night comes, rejoice to give you thanks; through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Amen.

As I sat in my old green chair watching the light dividing the day from the night, I prayed this prayer. Oh, that today, He will remove the wrong desires I have and my hearts inclination for my own path and give me a day of peace and cheerfulness. Even in the moment when I was looking forward to the night coming so I could go back to sleep, I was led to rejoice and give thanks.




5 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Amy, thank you for posting this. My kids have been waking me up earlier than normal (and than I'd like) too, lately. For a few days I was seriously annoyed and groggy and grumpy. But I'm working on changing my attitude (and getting to bed earlier!) and being grateful to God for the extra morning hours.

And I'm praying that prayer with you today.

Amy said...

Thanks Emily! You'd think by the time #3 came we'd know how to deal with better! Thanks for the prayers. I fell asleep at 8:30 last night!!!

Jessica Snell said...

I love that collect too. And I think it matches well with the evening prayer of: "Guide us waking, oh Lord, and guard us sleeping, that awake we may watch with Christ and asleep we may rest in peace."

MomCO3 said...

My friend gave me this Orthodox "Prayer for the Start of Day": O LOrd, grant me to greet the coming of the day in peace. Help me in all things to rely on your holy will. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul and with firm conviction that your will governs all. In all my deedds and words, guide my thoughts and feeling. In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all are sent by you. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering or embarassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will. Teach me to pray. And yourself, pray in me.
Bless you today, Amy.

Amy said...

Annie, What a beautiful prayer. There are so many lines that stood out to me. I'm going to print it for tomorrow's early morning :-) Thanks for the encouragement!

I love that prayer too Jessica! The parallelism and alliteration make it so calming and meditative. I like the idea of matching it with the morning prayer to provide a rhythm and focus for my days! Hoping there will be more restful sleep tonight!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails