Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Homemade Yougurt Experiment



Encouraged by this article in Slate on the cost-effectiveness of making things from scratch (Thanks, Jessica) and confirmed by so many bloggers, I set off to follow this recipe to make Yogurt in the Crockpot.

The results? So So. I now won't say a complete failure. It was a simple recipe, cheap and healthy. Best of all was the flavor. But the consistency was just wrong. It never thickened up. I tried straining it through cheesecloth but it all poured right through.

However, the kids have loved it in their cereal and a friend recommended using it to make smoothies so it hasn't been a complete flop.

So I think I'll try it one more time. However, I'm now adding a yogurt maker to my Amazon Wish List. Family, my birthday is August 9th! I'm sure it's right up there with the Rain Barrel and Worm Bin and all the other things I really want but no one will ever buy me! I've been working my husband for Mother's Day or our 10 year anniversary this June too. True Love.

In the meantime, any ideas, yogurt makers? I've read about using whole milk, gelatin, powdered milk?

2 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

It's definitely a different texture than store-bought - gooey-er! :) I'm sorry that it didn't work for you as well. I haven't tried adding any stabilizers, 'cause I like the texture I got, but I hope you find something that works for you!

Amy said...

We can't complain--it's already all gone with smoothies and over cereal so I'll definitely have to try again! Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails