Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lent-Day 2

Well, Ash Wednesday was just yesterday but it doesn't take long for some of the realities of Lent to sink in. We need Lent to be 40 days!! When trying to build new disciplines, we will surely fail. Yes, you got it right. I did not live up to my Lenten Practices even on the first day! Fortunately, Lent is not a time for "resolutions" but about drawing closer to God. And so, my efforts reveal even more to me, my need for Him, my need for the cross.

It is during Lent that our sins can become so apparent, like today when I'm striving even more to spend time in prayer, to live a life simplicity. It is today that I am short with the children, lack joy at the tasks before me, long to escape! I am reminded of Paul's words:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy
gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand
all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove
mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have,
and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have
not love, I gain nothing. I Corinthians 13

Lent will not produce much in my life if I try to do it in my own strength merely trading one lot of sin for another, adding new disciplines at the expense of loving my neighbor. God is so good and faithful though. I may think I know the area I should work on during Lent, but if we allow His Spirit to work who knows all that will done! I'm off to pray the Litany of Penitence (BCP p. 267) again.

How has your Lent begun?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails